Saturday, October 13, 2012

Writing

I haven't posted here in a while, I know! It sort of fell off my radar this year. Since I lat posted back in January, Carter has grown and learned so much! He's 42.5 inches tall now, apparently finally above the 50th percentile for height.

He's also reading and writing now, which is quite amazing to watch. He's only been writing for a little over a month; prior to that he'd never even written a single letter of the alphabet! He became obsessed with the solar system over the summer and the desire to learn more about it seemed to be the catalyst for a huge cognitive jump. One day about 6 weeks ago, he picked up a marker and wrote "solar system" -- having never before even written a letter of the alphabet!




And then writing became his obsession. He will seriously sit at the table for hours at a time, writing words over and over. He writes on lined paper, on the driveway with chalk, on the whiteboard in his room, with his finger on an iPad app. A pencil and paper suddenly provide hours of entertainment.

Part of what has amazed me about this is how it's all come completely from him. We never pushed or made him sit down and do it. We don't really give him much guidance now about how to form letters or to spell words. He's learned to type words into the Google search bar to figure out how they are spelled! It's a fantastic example of whole language learning.

He's also starting to write stories, which I love! Here is a video showing one:


YouTube Video


I love it! I can't wait to see what he'll become interested in next. :-)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Paige said...

Hey Jennifer! It's so awesome to see Carter's budding language skills. He is truly exceptional.