Friday, April 30, 2010

Strawberry picking!

I've been wanting to take Carter strawberry picking for a long time, and we were planning to go this weekend before Doug's business trip got extended. The farm we were planning to go to (Sweetberry Farm in Marble Falls) is open daily, so I decided we might as well go today. When we woke up this morning I told Carter we were going to go for a car ride and go to a farm, and he was really excited. When we got in the car he kept saying, "Go farm!"

The drive up to Marble Falls was gorgeous. This has been a stunning wildflower season, and the blues have now turned to yellows and reds. It took a little over an hour to get there from our house, and when we got there there were several school buses there with kids on field trips, so it was a bit crowded for a while. But the place is big, and there was plenty of room for Carter to run around. The kid in the blue shirt in the center of this shot is Carter.



I had thought Carter would really enjoy picking strawberries, and he did for a while.





You can see by his face that he'd already eaten a few by this point.



I'm glad I pulled out the camera right away, because his enthusiasm for picking didn't last long. Luckily, the farm had wisely placed some sandboxes nearby, and that kept him occupied while I finished picking for us.



They also have a petting area with lots of very friendly goats. They were used to being petted and hand-fed, even the babies, and were so sweet and gentle. Carter LOVED petting the goats, OMG. He was just giddy with happiness!







Look at this face!



He started feeding the goats grass that he'd picked, and he remembered to hold his hand flat without me telling him. I thought that was interesting, because it's been at least a month since he fed goats at the zoo.



Here is a short video of him feeding the goats. He would say, "Here you go, goats. Yummy! Delicious!"



They also had donkeys and horses.





There was a little baby donkey, so cute! Carter kept calling it a rabbit, though.



Here is a short video of him with the donkeys.



Here he randomly says, "Happy Mother's Day, Mommy!" (Awww...)



It was great fun. We took a picnic and spent several hours just hanging out there. Carter ran around, stomped in puddles (I'd had the foresight to pack our rainboots, remembering from my own childhood how muddy fields can be), and even chased butterflies. It was warm (85) and a bit humid, and it totally felt like summer! Too bad it's still April and this is just spring, heh.

It was hard to get Carter back in the car -- he kept begging to go back and pet the goats and donkeys more, and cried the whole way. I can sympathize, as I always cried at the end of a fun trip!

I started cutting up the strawberries before I remembered to take a picture of them:



We're eating strawberry shortcake as I write this! It was a fun day, and we'll definitely go back. They also have blackberries and several veggies during the summer, and then they have a pumpkin patch in the fall.

That's it for now. Have a good weekend!

No comments: