Thursday, November 6, 2008

November 6: Sleeping, teething

This is my 101st post in this blog, which is actually really amazing considering that it was started in early March, eight months ago. That works out to an average of three posts a week. :-)

Carter is on the verge of getting those two bottom teeth. They are just starting to come through the gums, and you can feel the very tops of them if you can manage to get a finger in his mouth. That's a big change from even last night, so I'm guessing we'll see those teeth over the weekend.

Carter's sleep schedule at night is really starting to take shape. About 10 days ago I started putting him to bed a lot earlier than I had been. It got a little weird with the time change, but now we seem to have settled back out into a 7:00-ish bedtime. He will usually start to get tired between 6:45 and 7:15, so when he starts to tell me he's ready, I take him up for his bath.

Baths are interesting these days. He now likes to sit in the water and play with toys. He has a rubber duckie and some little cups, which he mostly chews on. He will watch me scoop up and pour water, but he hasn't started doing it himself yet. He also doesn't seem as interested in laying back in the water lately. He will sit there and play, and he'll let me know when he's ready to get out by turning toward me and holding up his arms. Sometimes he holds onto the sides of his little tub like he's going to try to pull himself up, but he hasn't tried yet.

We then get dry, dressed, and lie down in bed. By this point, he's usually ready to nurse and go to sleep, and will often drop off within minutes. Sometimes he fights sleep and we will have to read a book first, but by 7:30 he's usually asleep. I then turn on the monitor and slip away.

He's getting used to waking up and being alone. The first couple of nights he cried like he was really scared the moment he realized I wasn't there. I would rush right in when he did, and that seemed to reassure him. A week later, he will wake up and look around, and about half the time he'll go back to sleep on his own. Sometimes he'll need me to go up and comfort him or nurse him. He will usually stay asleep until about 9:30 or 10:00, and when he starts to get really restless, we go upstairs and get into bed, and he settles right back down. He will sleep until about 7:00 am, so he's getting 11-12 hours overnight. This seems to have affected his napping during the day; he no longer takes 3 hour naps. But as long as he seems to get enough sleep, I guess it's fine.

It's been weird for me to have a few hours of Carter-free time in the evenings. At first I wasn't sure what to do with myself! It felt strange not to be with him. But I've started to get used to it. I can wash dishes, work on knitting projects, and get online, basically do the sorts of things I haven't had much time for lately.

No comments: