Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Eight months

Carter was eight months old on Monday. I just have to shake my head at every month that goes by, and wonder where the time is going. How can it have been 8 months since he was brought into the world, much too early and against his will? I usually think of him as his adjusted age, so it doesn't seem quite so bad.

We had a good weekend in NC. (See pictures on my previous post.) Carter did well on the plane, as usual, and has now been on 17 flights! He really seemed to enjoy spending time with his Nana, who can always make him laugh, even when he's in the midst of a meltdown.

On Friday night we had dinner at my Dad's house with the whole gang. It was fun to see Carter playing with his Papa and and cousins. I took what should have been some great video, but it was so dark you can't see anything. Everyone kept commenting on how big and stocky Carter is, which sort of took me by surprise. I guess I don't get many opportunities to compare him to other babies! He is heavier than he looks, though, and he has big hands and feet, like a puppy. I'm going to assume the breastfeeding has really paid off!

On Saturday we went to Carter's NICU reunion. It was great to see so many of the doctors and nurses who took care of him, and to see some of the other babies who were in the NICU with him as well. Everyone is getting so big and doing so well! Carter even got his face painted, which was funny. There's a picture of that in the slideshow in my last post.

On Saturday night, Aunt Pam and Uncle Scott came to have dinner with us and see Carter. During their visit, he rolled from his belly to his back for the first time! He looked surprised that he'd done it. He did it again this morning and I managed to get it on video.



On Sunday we headed up to Mount Airy to spend time with the whole family. All the babies were there, and we took lots of pictures. Carter's cousin Matti (who is 8 months old) is crawling and pulling up, something I'm sure Carter will be doing by Christmas. I can't even imagine it at the moment! Here is a cute video of Carter playing with a balloon on Sunday. He was sucking on it like he thought he was going to get some milk from it, and it was cracking us up.



We got home on Monday, and Tuesday was a big day: It was the day Carter's new nanny started. She spends 20 hours a week with him (Tuesday - Thursday) while I'm at work. It's gone well so far, and I think they're getting to know each other. I'm looking forward to him getting to know her and settling into a routine with her. I think it will help him.

Carter seems to be teething big time. He chews constantly, and even holds toys and rubs them against his gums. I've tried chilled teething rings and teething gel, but in the end he seems to prefer my fingers. I think the bottom teeth are going to come through first, but I have no idea when that will happen.

I have a feeling we're on the verge of some big changes in the next month. I'm not necessarily looking forward to them, I have to say. I'm enjoying having this sweet little cuddly baby who prefers to sleep on my chest for all of his naps and wants nothing more than for me to play with him. I know that won't last forever, and I'm trying so hard to enjoy every minute of it. This morning he slept in my chest for 2 and a half hours, and even though there was laundry to do and lessons to plan, I just relaxed and enjoyed it. There's nothing like having a sleeping baby in your arms. It's been eight months, and I still can't put him down. :-)

No comments: