Friday, April 11, 2008

We have reaching!

I don't think I posted about Carter's appointment with a physical therapist on Tuesday afternoon. She examined him and asked me a lot of questions about what he is and isn't doing, and in the end said that his development seems to be spread across the 0-2 month-old range. Since he's about 3 weeks old (adjusted), that seems to be good news. She didn't see any reason to enroll him in the state's program, so he won't be getting regular visits with a therapist. The program will send me email surveys once a month to fill out and return, and they'll keep an eye on his development that way.

I'm glad he doesn't need physical therapy, but I'm still a bit confused about what I should be keeping an eye out for, what might be problematic for him. He was born so very early that he's bound to struggle with something at some point. I know he's at an increased risk for learning disabilities, ADHD, and autism, and I'm hoping he (and we) won't have to struggle with any of those.

In the meantime, he's started reaching for things! At least, it seems that way, heh. In this video, you can see him reaching for and batting at a toy. He did it for about half an hour, and it seemed pretty deliberate to me. :-)

No comments: