Friday, March 28, 2008

3 month doctor visit

Carter weighs 6 pounds, 10 ounces as of today! He's really the size of a newborn now, which is so amazing to me. When we're out and people comment on him, they now say, "Oh, a newborn baby!" A couple of weeks ago they would gasp and say, "What a tiny baby!" I guess it won't be long before he won't attract any extra attention at all.

Carter's appointment went well, and the doctor was impressed with how much weight he's gaining. She noticed that he has developed a bilateral inguinal hernia, a hernia on either side of his groin. This is relatively common in preemies, and it's something that will need to be repaired surgically. She referred me to a pediatric surgical practice here in Austin, and I made a consultation appointment with them for next Tuesday. I hate to think of my poor little boo having surgery, but it's necessary. This is an outpatient surgery, so fortunately he shouldn't have to stay overnight. But still, it's going to be hard to see him with an IV again, and to see him in pain. :-(

Carter is doing better with breastfeeding, happily. He seems to have turned a corner in the last few days. I do a pre/post weigh once a day, and for four days now he's gotten an ounce from nursing! I'm hopeful that it won't be much longer before we won't have to supplement him at all. I'm really looking forward to a time when I'm not tied to this pump. :-P

This is the weekend that I'll be packing away the preemie clothes. *sigh* Of course, I've got a bunch of cute newborn clothes to put him in. He's getting so big!

1 comment:

Carla said...

Jenn Carter will do fine with the surgery. That is the exact same thing that Wyatt had done yesterday. 3/28/08 He had all 3 done belly button and the 2 below. He did fine but still like any surgery it hurts him a little to be held or be on his belly (i.e. like burping). They told us they like to wait till the baby is 10lbs but Wyatt’s could not wait till then. I’m going to post before and after pictures of him soon. Some advice get plenty of sleep the night before. Good luck and we will pray for you.
Carla, Doug and Wyatt Dillon