Friday, November 18, 2011

NaBloPoMo 17/30: Donuts!

First of all, this is Carter snuggling in bed this morning as I was getting ready to go to work.

Carter_2246

He always says, "Mommy, you need to stay with me and snuggle!" And I always wish I could! I do love my job, though, and I love the fact that I get the best of both worlds. I get to have a professional life and spend a lot of time being a mom, and I feel very lucky!

Carter has dance and swimming on Thursdays, so they are busy days for him. After work I go straight to the swim school to pick him up from his lesson, and today I managed to get there early enough to catch part of it. I had planned to take a video for this post, but I had my camera on the wrong setting and it didn't work out. Maybe next time!

It's really important to Carter that he gets to say goodbye to me in the morning when I leave. He walks me to my car and then he and Michelle stand in the driveway and do some funny waves as I drive away. Likewise, he always wants to walk her to her car at the end of the day when she goes, and we stand in the driveway and wave. On Thursdays he wants to sit on the trunk of my car in the parking lot at the swim school and wave from there as she drives away. It's so interesting to me how he has invented all of these rituals that help him through the difficult moment of saying goodbye. They are very important to him, and he is very specific about where everyone stands and what they do. I love that about him. ♥

Until this fall his swimming classes were always in the morning and we had a tradition to go around the corner and get a donut afterwards. The donut shops are closed at 4:30, though, so we haven't been able to do that lately. But then I realized that Krispey Kreme is open in the evenigns, and that was definitely a place we could go. As a bonus, you can watch them make the donuts, which I knew Carter would love. So today I told him we were going to go to the special "donut factory", and he was very excited.

When we got there we spent a good five minutes just watching all of the machines and people at work making donuts. Eating donuts was practically anticlimatic.

Carter_2248

Carter_2247

Afterward he said we had to come again and bring Daddy this time. I think we'll have to do that. :-)

1 comment:

Gemma Wilson said...

Precious times - I love the photo of Carter trying to lean over the counter...