Thursday, March 17, 2011

Trip to NC, part 2

Here are some pictures from the rest of our trip to NC last week. After the weekend with my dad, we headed up to Mount Airy to spend a couple of days with Carter's great-grandparents, Papa and Nana Anna Marion. Here are some pictures from our time there.

We got to spend a little time outside the first day we were there, and I was glad we did because it rained for the next two days! Here Carter is playing behind the house, a spot where I spent many hours of my childhood playing. In fact, it was right by this truck a few years ago that Carter first learned the word "wheel".



That night we went over to my Uncle and Aunt's house, where Uncle Scott had promised to take Carter for a ride on some of his construction equipment. Carter was SO excited about this, and had a blast!




Here's a video:

When it got too dark to be outside, we had a nice visit with Uncle Scott and Aunt Pam. Carter enjoyed Aunt Pam's pound cake:


And played with my cousin Ryan's awesome keyboard.


We spent the next rainy day and a half with Papa and Nana Anna. Here is Carter snuggling with Nana Anna.


We also went to the awesome Mount Airy Tractor Company Toy Store in downtown Mount Airy, which is essentially a John Deere toy store. Carter loved it!


To my great surprise, there was a book store with a coffee shop downtown, with a train table! We all had a cup of coffee while Carter played.


Carter quickly learned where Nana Anna keeps the ice cream...


We headed back to Greensboro on Thursday afternoon, and spent the rest of our time in NC at my Mom's house. I learned Friday morning of the earthquake in Japan, wher Doug was on a business trip. Luckily he emailed me quickly to tell me he was fine, but it still made for a stressful day. Carter and I went to the fabulous Greensboro Children's Museum, but I was so freaked out I didn't take any pictures.

Later that day Carter rode the zip line at Nana's house, which was great fun.

On Saturday we went to a family get-together in Mount Airy at my Aunt Bonnie's house. Carter and his cousins got to play and ride vehicles around in the driveway.





Of course, sometimes the non-mechanized vehicles are the most fun.


A fantastic time was had by all! I love those family gatherings, and whenever Carter and I can make it to one, it's so much fun!

We hung out with Mom on Sunday morning. I went to have lunch with a high school friend while Carter and Nana went to a park and played with his cousins Aidan and Emma. That evening, we went to my Dad's house for one more family get-together.

Carter and I hung out on Monday and went to a toy store before heading to the airport for our flight home. The flight went well, and Doug picked us up at the airport, having made it home from Japan a day ahead of schedule.

My anxiety levels dropped dramatically once the three of us were home and in our own bed. It was pretty scary to have both of my guys be in grave danger in the course of a week. Of course, it was nothing compared to what people in Japan are struggling with right now, but it was still scary for me. :-P

We went to the doctor for Carter's 3 year well visit on Tuesday morning, and he said Carter's burns are healing very well. We're still keeping them moist with the ointment, but they're essentially healed now. His weight is around 35 pounds (75th percentile), and his height is 37 3/4 inches (50th percentile). He's doing fine!

No comments: