Monday, November 1, 2010

NaBloPoMo 1/30: Weekend in NC

It's NaBloPoMo again! That means I'll be posting daily this month. I've done it for the last two years, and it's really a great way to get a lot of posting about Carter and his life. Links to my posts for 2008 and 2009. It's fun to see how much he's grown.



We just got back from a weekend in NC. We went to hang out with my mom, who had back surgery a few weeks ago and is slowly recovering at home. We spent our days hanging out with "Nana" and did other family Halloween-related events in the evenings. It was a busy weekend, but a good one. I think my mom enjoyed having us for company. Being stuck in the recliner dealing with the pain of healing from that kind of surgery is no picnic, but she's handling it like a trooper, and making lots of plans for all the things she will do when she's fully healed and back on her feet.

We arrived on Thursday night late, and left this (Monday) morning. On Friday evening, carter and I went over to my Dad's house, where he and my stepmom were hosting their second annual pumpkin carving contest. I joined my sister Donna's team and helped her carve, since she had a carving-related injury, and we ended up with an awesome Spongebob Squarepants pumpkin.

Carter1671

Carter1673

Carter enjoyed going for a ride on the mule with Papa that night. The other kids all rode in the back, but he insisted on sitting up in the driver's seat with Papa!

Carter1666

He had fun playing with the dogs and hanging out with Papa and Grandma, who had various activities going on during the pumpkin carving time. See the slideshow below for more pictures of the results of the competition.

Carter1674

Carter had fun playing in the leaves in Mom's yard on Saturday afternoon. We don't really get a lot of autumn leaves in Austin, but he knows about them from books and wanted to jump and play in a pile of leaves.

Carter1689

Carter1688

Mom was able to come outside and watch for a little while, which was great.

Carter1682

Here Carter is pretending to water her plants.

Carter1683

On Saturday night, we went to my dad's church for the truck-or-treat event. Dad and Barbara had decorated their truck to look like the stage at Woodstock, with big banners and posters and musical instruments on the "stage" (the bed of the truck). They were dressed as hippies and had lawn chairs set out around the truck.

Carter1695

Carter fell asleep in the car on the way over, and spent the first hour of the event asleep in the tent they'd set up. I told people who came by that he'd partied a little too hard.

Carter1694

Carter finally woke up and had fun playing with his cousin Emma.

Carter1696

Carter1697

We got a lot of compliments on his astronaut costume! We got it at the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC, and it's a really great costume!

On Sunday afternoon Carter and I played outside while Mom rested. Then that evening the three of us headed over to my sister's house for Halloween night events. The kids played, and then we took them trick-or-treating in my sister's neighborhood, where there are hordes of trick-or-treaters! I've never seen crowds like that on Halloween!

Carter1665

We took Carter trick-or-treating last year, but this was the first time he's really seemed to get the idea. He loved running around in his costume and going to the doors and knocking. I don't know if he ever said "trick-or-treat", though!

Carter1701

Carter1705

The kids only had about 45 minutes of trick-or-treating in them, and then we headed back to my sister's house, where there was a constant line of kids waiting for candy. It was pretty crazy! My dad and Barbara and my sister Nicci and her boyfriend came over too, and had a hard time finding a place to park! It was a good night, and I was glad we could be there. Carter seemed to have a lot of fun playing with his cousins and was starting to get into the whole Halloween thing by the end.

He fell asleep in the car on the way back to my mom's house, and slept solidly through until almost 9:00 this morning! Our flight left at noon, and so we said goodbye to Mom and Rick and headed home. It was a good trip!

Here is a slideshow with more pictures from the weekend.



I'll be posting every day for a while, so look for another post tomorrow.

No comments: