Monday, August 30, 2010

Is August really almost over?

Where did this summer go? It was May just a couple of weeks ago, I swear!

We had a quiet-ish weekend. On Saturday night we went to see Sheryl Crow in concert at The Backyard, an outdoor concert venue in Austin. We decided to take Carter, and he actually did really well. We sat on a blanket in the grass, and he had plenty of time to run around and explore before the warm-up act (Colbie Caillat) started to play. Once it got dark, he seemed content to hang out on the blanket with us. He listened to the music, occasionally stood up to dance, looked up at the stars, and when he got bored, played a game or two on the iphone.

When Sheryl Crow's set started the volume went up significantly, and Carter kept pulling out the earplugs we'd brought for him. (In retrospect, we should have bought some kid-sized ones, but we didn't think about it until it was too late.) So a few songs into her set we headed out. It was after 10:00 by then anyway, so it wasn't actually a bad time to go. Carter really seemed to have fun, and I'm looking forward to taking him to a concert again sometime.

I belong to a gym that has a fantastic child care facility, but I haven't taken Carter there for a long time. The last time I tried to take him there, he cried the whole time I worked out, and it just wasn't worth it to me. So I haven't been going all that often, since I could only go when Doug was home or when Michelle was there. But this summer Carter seemed to have turned a corner with the whole "Mommy leaving" thing, and for the last few months has been capable of understanding where Mommy is going and when I'll be back.

So this morning after Gymboree, I told Carter we were now going to "Mommy's gym", where he would play while Mommy went to exercise. He seemed cool with that, and so off we went to the gym. As soon as we got in the child care center, he took off running, then stopped, turned around and said, "Bye-bye, Mommy!" Then off he went to play. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and then came back down, hoping for the best. Sure enough, he was sitting on the floor, surrounded by a large pile of cars and trucks. It took me ten minutes to get him out of there! I was telling Doug about it just now, and he said, "Go to Mommy's gym again!" I think his enthusiasm for the gym is really going to help me get exercise!

Last night Carter really wanted to play outside, and I told him he could have five minutes before we went up to take a bath. This was at twilight, and I should have known better. The poor kid came back inside with huge red splotches all over his arms -- in that five minutes, he'd gotten about 25 mosquito bites! He seems to have inherited from Doug whatever it is that mosquitoes love. They don't love me like that, so I don't really think about spraying him up for a few minutes outside, but I'm going to have to be a lot more careful. Fortunately, the bites haven't seemed to bother him much today. I put cortisone cream on them all after his bath last night, so maybe that helped.

Finally, here is a picture from this morning. Carter loves to put this drum on and walk around playing it. He hasn't really seen a marching band (not lately, anyway) so I'm not sure where he's seen someone doing this, but he certainly likes drumming!

Happy Monday!

No comments: