Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy Groundhog Day!

For the record, Carter saw his shadow today. Not that it means anything, but still. ;-)

I'm trying really hard in this blog to write about the little things, so that later on when I look back, this will serve as a very detailed baby book. I've already been able to use it as a reference a few times when I needed to look up when Carter did something for the first time.

One of the things that has really struck me about Carter's behavior in the last few days is that he's suddenly much more independent than he was a few weeks ago. He will play independently for quite a long time, and doesn't have a fit when I disappear around the corner to turn over the laundry. After I nurse him, I can set him on the floor and he'll happily crawl away to play. It's such a stark change that it's almost bizarre. I know he'll go through a clingy period again at some point, so I'm trying not to feel too rejected. ;-)

He's still got a stuffy nose, but that seems to be the extent of his cold. He's also gotten a lot more patient when I suction his nose out, and no longer screams like I'm torturing him. Maybe he realizes it's helpful?

Here is a cute video of him from last night. He was hanging on the gate between the kitchen and the dining room, and Lucy kept coming over to be petted. She's still really patient with him, for the most part. And every now and then he will pet her very gently, and it just melts my heart.



I think I mentioned in the last post how much he likes playing with his musical instruments. I've been working with him on playing the drum. He can tap it with the drumstick now, and he also plays it with his hands.



He's also trying to figure out what other things he can pound together to make a cool noise. Unfortunately, one experiment involved whacking a stone coaster on one of the living room end tables, leaving little scars all over it. :-P

He LOVES the dishwasher all of a sudden, and will squeal and crawl toward as fast as he can when he sees someone open it.



I look forward to a day when he will be able to actually help load and unload the dishwasher. But right now, this is the extent of his helping:



LOL! It was funny, even if it could have ended badly...

We had panna cotta for dessert tonight, which is basically a sweet cream jello, and Carter LOVED it. He shoveled in handfuls of it, as if it were the best thing ever! And then I realized it actually tastes a lot like Mommy Milk! Awww. :-)

1 comment:

Debby said...

Wow!!! He can get to where he wants.. I laughed and laughed at the dishwasher video....He is growing up so quickly...Love you guys...Mom